“Giving people voice is not enough.
Its listening to them that counts”
At the Blagrave Trust, we believe passionately in the importance of giving equal voice to young people, as well as listening to the organisations we fund to form productive partnerships and ensure we are enabling them to be as impactful as possible. See our commitments to the organisations that we fund.
The Listening Fund
We are excited to have launched a new initiative, the Listening Fund. This is currently a £900,000 pooled fund to invest in learning and scaling practice at an organisational level that enables young people to be agents of change, listens to and responds to their needs, and analyzes the difference this makes and the variety of relevant approaches. We will be developing a website specifically for the fund soon. In the meantime if you would like more information on the fund and its other funders, please contact Edd.Fry@blagravetrust.org
- We gather regular and systematic feedback from our funding partners at key points in their 3 year funding with us, to inform our own work.
- We ask organisations interested in partnering with us to explain specifically what the young people they work with think of their charity.
- In 2015 we conducted research with Keystone Accountability into how youth charities listen and respond to the young people they help.
- In Summer 2016 we piloted a small Feedback Fund to support practice in this area. Read about it here: Feedback Fund 2016 – key lessons
- In Autumn 2016 we were involved in the first ever UK Feedback Summit to share practice across the charity sector.
Read more about our approach in this 2016 article for Trust and Foundation News.
Listening for Change
In late 2016, we collaborated with the Esmee Fairbairn Foundation to produce a report ‘Listening for Change – Two Sides of the Same Coin’ about the relationships between funders and social purpose organisations. This asks fundamental questions about how funders and the voluntary sector needs to build relationships of trust and evolve the funding system for the benefit of all. To read the main body of the report please click here Listening for Change. To read the report as well as the many insightful responses of the survey respondents please click here Listening for Change – Full Report and annexes.